Sunday, January 09, 2011

RV Battery Wiring 6 volt in series and parallel

In case anyone else is looking for this.  I could not find one so I made my own,  this is to wire 4(four) 6-volt deep cycle batteries in Parallel AND in Series - this is the confusing part.  Most RV's use 2(two) 6 volt batteries in Series to create 1(one) 12 volt battery and then connect both in parallel to double the amp hours.  The theory with using 6 volt batteries is because of their design they can be run down to zero and brought back up more times than a regular deep cycle 12 volt battery. 

When connecting batteries in Parallel you are doubling the capacity (amp hours) of the battery while maintaining the voltage of one of the individual batteries.

When connecting batteries in Series you are doubling the voltage while maintaining the same capacity (amp hours).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has always confused me. Basically I never understood the difference between voltage and amperage.

Anonymous said...

I'd sign in for all of this but it is very confusing for me. Dad